Shipping jobs in the Humber Region
The Humber Region is at the heart of Britain's International trade, and boasts a superb infrastructure with numerous shipping job opportunities, which can rightly be called the UK's No1 port network.
With easy access to all of the UK, by road and rail, and long established and regular shipping routes throughout Europe, Scandinavia, The Baltic's, Mediterranean and the rest of the world the world class ports of Grimsby & Immingham, Goole and Hull, and the many wharf and port operators along the Humber are home to many leading shipping, logistics and freight forwarding companies, who handle cargoes on behalf of the worlds brands.
The port of Grimsby & Immingham, owned and operated by Associated British Ports (ABP) is consistently the UK's No1 port for handling cargo tonnage, with over 55m tonnes of cargo handled on an annual basis.
Shipping activity in the Humber Region encompasses:
- Roll on Roll off ferries
- Lift on Lift off container vessels
- Liquid and Dry bulk cargo carriers
- General Cargo vessels
- Passenger ferries
- And the emerging renewable market for offshore power generation
Commodities handled through the Humber ports include:
- Aggregates, Sand, Minerals & Chemicals
- Animal Feed & Fertilisers
- New trade Cars, Vans & Trucks
- Coal & Wood Pellets
- Consumer Goods
- Food & Drink
- Fresh, Chilled & Frozen Meat & Vegetables
- General Cargo & Manufactured Goods
- Heavy Lift & Project Cargoes
- Iron Ore, Steels & Other Metals
- Liquid Chemicals
- Petrochemicals, Oils & Liquids
- Renewable Fuels & Wind Turbines
- Scrap Metals
- Timber, Paper & Forest Products
All of this is activity is supported by a comprehensive skillset of professionals who keep the wheels of industry and international trade turning. A dynamic international industry requires a trained and motivated workforce, and the ports, shipping and logistics industry represents an excellent career choice for trainees, graduates, and professional people wishing to engage in a rewarding and fulfilling industry.
Types of jobs include:
- Management (General Management/Commercial /Operational/Business Services)
- Operations (Ships Agency/Bookings/Cargo Superintending)
- Commercial (Sales & Marketing & Customer Service)
- Business Services (including Accounting/Administration/HR/IT/Insurance & Claims)
Useful Sources of reference:
The industry is supported by professional bodies who provide the opportunity to undertake further training and qualifications to enhance career prospects and personal ambition.
The Logistics Institute at the University of Hull provides a full range of Logistics academic courses. In the UK, the standard first degree is a Bachelors degree with Honours. Generally a Logistics degree course usually takes three years full-time study.
The institute of Chartered Shipbrokers
The Chartered Institute of Logistics & Transport:
Contact us or call us on: +44(0)1472 347300 and we will work with you to develop and deliver the service that you demand to give YOU the edge.Go back...